It’s Time to Clean Up Your (Skincare) Act
What is a Holistic Approach to Skincare?
We all know our skin is our largest organ, but did you know it’s also connected to all our other organs? Generally, skin issues don’t start at the skin’s surface – they start internally. Healthy, beautiful skin comes from within. Therefore, an issue with our skin can serve as the perfect roadmap to discovering underlying health concerns.
Chronic and recurring skin issues are often an indication of deeper problems taking place in other systems of our body, whether it be the nervous system, endocrine system, digestive system, or others. This is why skincare should not be isolated from our general healthcare and wellness.
Our skin acts as a sponge and absorbs up to 70% of what is applied to it which goes directly into our bloodstream*. The average consumer is exposed to hundreds of harmful toxins each day through the use of personal care products, household cleaners, food, beverages, clothing, and more. Over time, this constant and recurring exposure to such toxins accumulates. This is what causes our toxic load to eventually overflow and various issues to ensue.
At Ingredients®, we believe in a holistic approach to wellness. What does holistic mean? It means taking into consideration the whole body, whole system, and how everything is connected. By reducing your toxic load and making more informed choices, you can improve the health of your whole body and skin.
Ingredients® Tips to Treat Skin Issues Holistically
1. Nutrition: Skin issues are often a sign of deeper inflammation and toxicity occurring within the body. Eating an organic, plantbased diet and avoiding processed and packaged foods, refined sugar, gluten, dairy, and low-quality oils can help reduce inflammation and toxicity, resulting in clearer skin.
2. Hydration: We use water to cleanse topically, but it can also cleanse us internally. Drinking proper amounts of pure, filtered water and maintaining optimal mineral levels in the body helps keep the circulatory, lymphatic, excretory, and digestive systems moving – all of which aid in detoxification for clearer skin! Maintaining proper hydration levels also results in plumper and more youthful looking skin. It is recommended to drink 1-2 liters of pure, filtered water each day and limit consumption of caffeine and alcohol to avoid dehydration.
3. Stress: Chronic and prolonged exposure to stress increases the body’s cortisol levels and contributes to inflammation. This often shows in red, reactive, and easily flushed skin, such as rashes, eczema, psoriasis, rosacea, and acne – all of which can be triggered by stress. Additionally, we are more prone to picking at blemishes when we are stressed, but it is highly recommended to not touch breakouts. Finding ways to manage stress through exercise, meditation, or hobbies instead can help repair skin issues by eliminating stress. Exercise is also a great way to activate the lymphatic system and detox the body through sweat!
4. Sleep: Similar to stress, lack of sleep also boosts cortisol levels which leads to inflammation. Sleep is essential for clear skin and overall health. Aim for 7-8 hours each night to receive its restorative benefits on the skin. Incorporating a HEPA filter, nontoxic bedding, and reducing EMF exposure in your bedroom can also improve sleep quality resulting in clearer skin.
5. Detox: Reducing your toxic load comes in many forms – from the air you breathe, the water you drink, the food you eat, and the products you use. Once exposure to and consumption of toxins has been limited, you can begin to properly detox. Opening your drainage pathways through the use of infrared saunas, Epsom salt baths, dry brushing, colonics, and coffee enemas are all effective ways to detox your body, reduce your toxic load, and improve your skin health. Fasting can also help regenerate new cells and detox the body. Similarly, a “skin fast” detoxifies your skin from synthetic chemical buildup. Cleanse only with Ingredients® Face Cleanser for 2 days and nothing else – then incorporate the Face Serum and Oil Complex on day 3. This will give your skin the rest it needs to detox and help reset your microbiome.
Products: A healthy lifestyle partnered with the right products is the key to unlocking your best skin. Because real skincare starts on the inside, the external products applied to our skin should simply support the skin barrier, balance the microbiome, and provide the nutrients necessary to maintain healthy skin. That’s why our formulas contain a blend of phytonutrients, multivitamins, minerals, antioxidants, probiotics, and amino acids. Our products detoxify, repair, boost collagen and elastin, balance the skin microbiome, and bring the skin back to a state of balance. Harsh, synthetic chemicals in skincare products often strip the skin of its natural barrier and cause imbalance. This results in even more skin issues. Instead of doing more to treat your skin topically, try doing less. Ingredients® products are gentle, respect the skin’s natural pH level, and contain only 8 plant-based ingredients or less. Our 3-step skincare routine – Face Cleanser, Face Serum, and Oil Complex – balances the microbiome, repairs the skin’s barrier, and is 100% plant-based and non-toxic. Using this regimen day after day will result in healthy, balanced, nourished, and clear skin. Try incorporating our Plant Water Mist for added refreshment and skincare benefits!
Sources: https://www.downtoearth.org/health/general-health/your-skin-it-absorbs https://www.alwisandxavier.com/blogs/news/60-70-of-harmful-ingredientsare- absorbed-into-your-skin